At the end of reading this material you should be able to
- Briefly define the field of evolutionary development.
- Explain how time is conveyed on a phylogenetic tree.
- Read the introduction section of the wikipedia article on evolutionary development. - 5 min read
- Analyze each of these figures: Figure 1 and Figure 2. - 5 min each figure
- Read over this quick quide on how to read a phylogenetic tree. - 5 min read
- Read Diversification of Insect Wing Morphology. The goal of this material is to understand one example of how Evo-Devo scientists approach a question. You do not need to understand the details. - 10 min read
If you want to delve deeper (not required)
- Evo-Devo and an expanding evolutionary synthesis: A genetic theory of morphological evolution
- From DNA to Diversity: A great text book.
- Endless Forms Most Beautiful: Book.
comments powered by Disqus